I love making heart-healthy smoothies. Apart from just getting to enjoy a cup of goodness with our loved ones, giving our body a detox once in awhile also helps increase energy levels and boosts metabolism! Here’s a detoxifying and energizing “Greeny Goodness” I made this morning for my family:
- Fresh organic berries from your local Farmers Market:
- 1/2 cup strawberries,
- ¼ cup blue berries,
- ¼ cranberries
- 2 Bananas
- 2 cups Kale
- 1 cup Spinach
- 2 Apples (cored and chopped)
- 2 scoops Protein Powder (great choice after a work-out!)
- Optional: Mint leaves
Note: Simply add water or your favourite juice flavour as a liquid-base to enrich taste.
Chicken Kebabs with Heart Healthy Salad
If you’re pressed for time, cut back your marination time to 15 minutes and the lemon flavor will still come through- yum!
1 freshly squeezed lemon juice
6-ounces boneless chicken breast halves (cut in cubes)
3 garden tomatoes chopped
½ tablespoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup parsley leaves
- Combine lemon juice, garlic paste, salt and pepper in bowl. Add 1tsp oil, chicken, and stir; marinate in fridge for 2 hours.
- Thread chicken onto skewers (serves 5). Heat a grill pan over high heat. Add skewers onto grill pan on high heat. Rotating skewers often, cook for 10 minutes or until done.
- Combine remaining lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper medium bowl. Add parsley leaves and tomatoes, while gradually adding salt and continualy toss for even mixture.
Serve chicken and salad together.
Geez- It’s like our bodies automatically detect the drop in temperatures and just like that you’ve got another cold to deal with on your way to work…the sneezing and sniffling mantra starts all over again. But, could it possibly be a seasonal allergy instead? What if you were wrong every winter?
Here, I’ve broken down the bare basics you can share with your friends and families, and get the symptoms treated:
|* Nasal secretions- watery, AND clear
||* Nasal secretions are discolored; discolouration also depends on either viral versus bacterial infection (hopefully, you won’t have to do this step!)
|* Itchy eyes and throat
||* Chills, feeling tired and body aches
|* Symptoms persist for weeks and can be intermittent
||* Symptoms are usually gone in within 3 to 7 days
A teaspoon of two of Bee Pollen really helps keep allergies at bay altogether (available at your local Goodness Me Natural Foods Markets!)
Quercetin is a potent anti-inflammatory that suppresses production and release of histamine, to effectively prevent allergic response.
Nettle Juice: If you suffer from Hayfever, Asthma, or damage to sinus tissue due to pollen allergies, Nettle is wonderful for cleansing and preventing inflammation.
What works best, especially if you have kids or are caring for elderly?
- Allergens- avoid em’. The first and best treatment for winter allergies is to avoid what you’re allergic to. Keep your surrounding clean.
- Get More Moisture. Believe it or not, you are more likely to get dehydrated in winters- constantly blowing your nose, and keeping the thermostat cranked up can leave the body juiced out without you feeling thirsty! Pump up the fluids by carrying around a water bottle, eating more water-rich foods, or enjoying hot tea. The steam that you inhale when drinking hot drinks helps reduce nasal congestion.
- Get more Moisture inside your homes: Keep a humidity monitor in your houses to track moisture in the air and adjust dehumidifiers accordingly. Recommended range Lower limit 30%; Upper Limit: 50
Winter allergies also cause digestive stress, so treatment is important if you wish to stay healthy when the next round of cold months come along.
Hope you and your loved ones are staying well & cozy in this chilly weather!
Zarbuft S. Mayo